Thursday, September 28, 2006

Bikes, Cars and Trams!

There is a reason that they say watch out for "bikes, cars and trams" in that order. The cyclists are crazy here! They will ride at you at mach speed, ring a little bell and if you don't jump out of the way like someone lit a fire under your butt, you might just become road pizza! Amsterdam style.

Tonight my roommate Ana and I decided to skip the drunken canal tour and sex show and tour the Red Light District on our own. We actually covered a lot of ground. It's just as you'd expect, half naked women in the windows with illuminated red lights pawing at you to get you to come in and shell out a few Euro. We actually went into what they call a "coffee shop" but they serve a whole lot more than coffee. They pulled out a marijuana menu and you just order like it's a pizza. We got to talk to a few locals and get some good tips on where to exchange currency since it seems like you get ripped off everywhere you go. Actually, last night at the Royal National I got into a heated argument with the currency exchange guy. He told me all the rates were the same at all Travellex which is NOT true. He ripped me off by $48 bucks and I went down there and let him have it Italian style. Needless to say it got me nowhere, but he was pretty furious when some other people came up to the window and asked to exchange currency and I said, "Don't exchange with this guy, he's a crook!"...lol... yeah.. I'm making friends all over.

Last night there was also some mix up about my sleeping bag. According to when I booked my trip I was to be given a brand new, take home sleeping bag for when we stop at cabins, but somehow Contiki forgot that voucher and it was such a hassel. I basically had to call America because apparently Contiki America is different than Contiki UK.... whatever.. It seems the left hand doesnt know what the right hand is doing, but it was sorted out finally.

Tomorrow I'm going with Ana again around Amsterdam before we leave for Rhine Valley, Germany. I will write more soon. Miss you all!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home