Sunday, October 01, 2006

Greetings from Vienna!

So yesterday after leaving Germany we left for Vienna. We made a few stops along the way. The first stop was at Mondsee where the Sound of Music was filmed. The entire way there we were forced to listen to the soundtrack... After we left there we stopped at a former WWII concentration camp called Mauthausen. I took a lot of pictures there. Including where they slept, the gas chamber, the crematory and more. It was very sad to see how they treated these people. They would make people climb up these really steep stairs (seemed like 90 degrees) with heavy stones on their backs. If one person would fall backwards it would have some kind of domino effect and hundreds would be killed. They were also only allowed 5 bites of food every 3 days and if they ate more than that they would be killed.

Now on to happier things. Last night we went to a concert at the same concert hall Motzart use to play. It was really nice. They had some opera and dancing aswell. My roommates and I had dinner outside on the streets of Vienna. It was so beautiful. There was actually some clown (like a real clown) panhandling for money playing a song from the sound of music. After that we came back to our hostel Wombats and just hung out in our room for a while. Last night there was 4 of us to a room, but not so bad. We were told we should use the hostel linens instead of our sleeping bags because the bugs like to travel. This place is pretty clean and I haven't seen any bugs so far so hopefully one doesn't hitch a ride in my suitcase.

Tomorrow we're headed for Venice. I'm so excited for my gondola ride and to spend 5 days in Italy. This will probably be the highlight of my trip!

Anyhow, I'm still working on figuring out how to upload my photos. I hear here in Vienna that it's cheap to get them burned to CD so I may just upload them to Flickr and then you can view them from there.

OH! Also, if anyone is free on October 12 I'm still lacking a ride home from the airport... So if anyone is available send me a text message. Even if you're not available send me a text message. It get's kinda lonely even when you're around so many people, it would be good to hear from you guys back home!

Talk to you soon!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home